Botswana is a country in Africa located just north of South Africa. This recipe is adapted from A Kitchen Safari, Stories & Recipes from the African Wilderness, by Dumi Ndlovu and Yvonne Short. This is how meat is cooked while on safari. Once it is cooked, it is served in a banana leaf with more fresh chilies. Its a little spicy, but if served with chilies would be very spicy and hot.
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed or ground coriander
- 4 fillet steaks , about 1-inch thick
- 8 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- freshly ground black pepper
Combine the beer or broth, oil, soy sauce, ginger, pepper flakes, paprika, pepper, and coriander to form the marinade. Add the steaks, tossing so that they are completely coated. Let marinate 6 hours up to overnight.
Grill them to desired degree of doneness. I only cooked about 4 minutes per side on a charcoal grill. Time will vary depending on exact thickness and cut of beef you use. Season with a little salt and pepper.
This can also be cooked in a hot cast iron skillet. Just add a little oil before putting the steaks in so they do not stick.