This is like a vegetable stew with buckwheat. Buckwheat is also known as kasha.
Pohlebka with Buckwheat
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrot, peeled and diced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup buckwheat (dry)
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley or dill
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
Add broth, potatoes, and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are nearly cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in buckwheat and return to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and let stand for 15 minutes to allow buckwheat to cook and the flavors to meld.
Serve with a garnish of parsley or dill.