This is a beef and vegetable stew that is first browned on the stove-top and then cooked in the oven.
Russian Zharkoye recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound beef, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 parsley sprig, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown beef, onion, and carrot on all sides. Transfer to an oven-safe casserole.
Add potatoes, sprig of parsley, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in broth. Cover casserole and place in oven for 30 minutes.
After 20 minutes, stir in sour cream and add chopped dill and chopped parsley. Replace cover and cook another 10 minutes.