Salt and Pepper Chicken
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried szechuan peppercorns
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/4 pounds chicken wings, separated at joint, wings tips discarded
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili, thinly sliced
In a small dry skillet, toast salt and peppercorns until the salt is slightly browned and the peppercorns are fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let them cool; grind.
Combine 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper mixture with the flour and dredge the chicken pieces in it to coat. Deep fry the chicken at 350°F, in batches, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper toweling and season with more of the salt and pepper mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the frying oil in a skillet, over medium heat, and cook the garlic until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the serrano chili slices and cook them until they are tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the chicken along with any remaining salt and pepper.