Chinese Mustard Glazed Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/4 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
- 1/4 cup Chinese duck sauce (or plum sauce)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine (or sake or mirin)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 3/4 lb bacon, cut in half crosswise
- bamboo skewers
Soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Use aluminium foil to line a broiler pan. Spray with cooking spray.
In a small bowl, mix the mustard with water until smooth. Stir in the corn syrup, duck sauce, wine and soy sauce. Place shrimp in a larger bowl and stir in 1/4 of this mustard mixture. Toss to coat.
Wrap half a slice of bacon around each shrimp and thread onto a skewer about an inch apart. Broil 6 inches from heat source for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until shrimp are cooked through. Brush several times with the remaining mustard glaze.