4 Main Dish servings
Time to Make
- 15 minutes of Preparation Time
- 1 hour of Cooking
- 3 pounds pork butt (or shoulder), sliced thinly or cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup calamansi juice (or lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced into rings (reserve 5 to 6 rings for garnish)
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup water
- In a bowl, combine the pork, juice, soy sauce, onions, garlic, and pepper. Massage into the meat and marinate for 30 minutes. Remove the meat, onions, and garlic from the marinade, reserving the liquid.
- Lightly brown the meat in 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. As it cooks spoon out the meats juices and reserve. Remove the meat from the skillet.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the onions and garlic, and cook, while stirring, until the onions begin to soften. Return the meat.
- Stir in the reserved marinade and the meat juices you spooned out. Add a little water and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer until fork tender, about 40 to 50 minutes. Season with salt.
- Remove from heat, add the onions that were reserved for garnish, cover, and let the onions steam for a few minutes. Serve hot.