This is a rustic dish that you can make with cut-up chicken pieces, chicken drumsticks, or chicken thighs.
Time to Make
- 15 minutes preparation
- 1 hour cooking
- 2 pounds chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4-1/3 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large red-skinned potato, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/3-1/2 cup tomato ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- sprinkling of brown sugar, optional
- Use a large pot or Dutch oven and brown the chicken on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- cook the onions and garlic in the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook another 4 to 5 minutes. Stir to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Return the chicken, season with fish sauce (or salt), add the water and bay leaves. Simmer until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes and carrots. Once the chicken is cooked through, add the potatoes and carrots and cook about 10 minutes. Add the bell peppers and simmer another 5 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the ketchup or tomato sauce and the peas. Heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar for balance, if desired.