Halang means hot chilies. So this soup uses hot chilies. Of course you can adjust the amount of chilies you use according to your taste.
Chicken Halang Halang
Time to Make
- 15 minutes to prepare ingredients
- 35 minutes to cook the dish
- 1 piece of ginger, thumb-sized, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 4 green chilies (jalapenos would be good)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 green papaya, sliced (you can also find this frozen or use frozen green melon)
- handful of chili leaves
- salt or fish sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the ginger, onion, and garlic in oil for a couple of minutes, stirring so as not the burn. Add the chicken legs and lightly brown them on all sides.
- Stir in the chicken stock, lemongrass, green chilies, and cayenne. Bring to a boil and simmer, over low heat, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and papaya and cook until the papaya is tender, an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the chili leaves and simmer another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.