This is like a custard pie. If you cannot find kalamansi, use lemon juice.
Filipino Egg Pie
Time to Make
- 1 hour 15 minutes to prepare (not all hands on)
- 1 hour to cook
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes and softened
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs and another 1 large egg with white and yolk separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh kalamansi or lemon juice
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
For the crust:
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and use a pastry mixer to thoroughly combine. Gradually add the cold water while mixing to form a dough. Shape into a large ball and refrigerate for an 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and roll out the dough to fill a 9-inch pie plate.
- Arrange and flatten the dough into the pie plate. Make sure you have about a 1/2-inch overhang on all sides.
- Flute or press a fork around the edges to decorate. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
For the filling:
- Heat evaporated milk in the microwave for about a minute.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the 4 eggs and the separated yolk. Gradually add the condensed milk while continuing to whisk. Whisk in the vanilla and lemon juice.
- Beat the egg white until forms soft peaks. Fold into the egg mixture.
Baking the Pie:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 325 degrees F and bake another 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool down before serving.