For this recipe you will need a white gourd or bottle gourd. If none is available you can also use a chayote (Mexican) or a zucchini (Italian). None of these gourds have a strong flavor in and of themselves, so they would each work well.
3 Main Dish Servings
Time to Make
- 5 minutes to prepare
- 15 minutes for cooking
- 1 medium upo (white squash), sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Saute the garlic, onions, and tomatoes in oil over medium heat until the onions are softened.
- Crumble the ground pork and add it to the skillet; season with pepper. Let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, cover the skillet, reduce heat and cook until the squash is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve.