This is a dessert made from purple yam. If you cannot find purple yam, you could use ordinary sweet potatoes or white sweet potatoes. You could use batata which is like a white sweet potato, that would be interesting also.
Ube Halaya Recipe
Time to Make
- 12 minutes to prepare
- 30 minutes to cook
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pound purple yam, grated
- Bring coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in the grated yam. Stir until the mixture becomes thickened. It will take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Grease a casserole to use as a mold. Pour the yam mixture in and allow to cool completely. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.