Cacoila is like a Portuguese version of pulled pork. And yes, it makes excellent sandwiches. This could also be made in the slow cooker. In that case, skip the marinating and just throw everything in the slow cooker and set it on low for 7 or 8 hours.
Time to Make
- Overnight marinating is called for
- It cooks 1 or 2 hours
- 5 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 12 ounces beer
- 12 ounces water
- 4 to 5 tablespoons Pimenta Moida or the equivalent jarred roasted red pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 whole head of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- olive oil
- Prepare the marinade by combining the beer, water, pimenta moida, paprika, and garlic. Add the meat and refrigerate overnight. Drain the meat, reserving the marinade.
- Saute the onions in the oil until softened. Add the meat and brown on all sides. Pour in the marinade so that it covers the meat. Add water if it does not. Bring to a boil. Give it a stir, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the meat is falling apart and the liquid is thickened, and hour or two.