Would you believe this is my first recipe? This is the only way my husband wants his mussels prepared; it is a regular around our house. Instead of steaming the mussels in a white wine, garlic sauce – red wine is used. Yum. This is supposed to be how the fishermen prepare them on the boat.
Mussels Portuguese Style
Time to Make
- 5 minutes to prepare
- maybe 10 minutes to cook
- 2 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or olive oil and butter mixed)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup red wine
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Prepare mussels, discarding any that will not close after a light tap.
- Heat olive oil, or combination olive oil and butter, over medium heat in a dutch oven. Saute garlic about 5 minutes, but do not allow to brown.
- Add chicken broth and wine. Allow to come to a boil.
- Add mussels and cover. Steam about 2 – 3 minutes until shells open. Do not overcook or mussels will become rubbery. Discard any unopened shells. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley.
- Serve “family style” in the pot or in individual bowls. French bread can be used to sop up sauce.