This sauce is the basis for many Portuguese and Azorean recipes. It is tasty and sweet followed by an intense kick. It stores well in the refrigerator. It is made with Shepherd peppers. I know. I never heard of them either. You can use red bell peppers.
Red Pepper Sauce (Pimenta Moida)
- 1/2 pound red chili peppers, washed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a blender, process the peppers and salt until smooth.
- Place the mixture in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and oil.
- Store in a clean jar in the refrigerator.