Green curry paste is the basis for many Thai dishes. It is mild as far as curry goes.
Green Curry Paste
Time to Make
- 5 minutes toasting the spices
- 20 minutes preparation
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sliced lemongrass
- 1 1/2 tablespoons galangal, or ginger
- 1 tablespoon sliced cilantro stems
- 1 kaffir lime, zested
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1/4 cup chili leaf, optional
- 10 to 15 green Thai chili peppers
- Lightly toast the coriander, peppercorns, and cumin in a dry pan over low heat. Let cool.
- Slice the shallots, lemongrass, galangal, and cilantro stems into small pieces. Thinly slice, or grate the lime zest so that you have about a tablespoon.
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices into a powder. Add the lemongrass and galangal, pounding and dragging to separate into fibers. Add the salt, garlic, lime zest, cilantro stems, and shrimp paste Grind and pound. Then add the chili peppers and leaves. Pound everything to a paste. It takes about 20 minutes.