This macaroni and cheese is made in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. It has onions, green bell peppers, and habanero pepper in it.
Bahamian Macaroni and Cheese
8-12, depending on how big you cut the pieces
Time to Make
- 15 minutes preparation
- 35-40 minutes to bake
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
- 6 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided (24 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 habanero pepper, finely minced (remove seeds and veins)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water for about 3 minutes (3 minutes less than al dente). Drain the macaroni and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk over medium heat (not boiling, just warmed).
- To the macaroni, stir in the heated milk, onions, pepper, and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Pour the beaten eggs on top and fold into the macaroni a bit. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Sprinkle the top with paprika.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.