This recipe has a long list of ingredients, but they mostly go in your food processor to make the curry sauce.
Indonesian Chicken Curry
Time to Make
- 15 minutes of preparation
- 20 minutes of cooking
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 dried red chilies, stems removed
- 2 fresh green Thai chilies, stems and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 3 small stalks lemongrass
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1 14.5-ounce can coconut milk, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- rice, for serving
- Place the spices, chilies, cashews, garlic, shallot, and ginger in a food processor and process to form a paste.
- In a large skillet, or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, lemongrass, and lime leaves and cook for 1 minute. With a wooden spoon, stir in the curry paste you just made and let cook 2 minutes.
- Now add the chicken and turn to brown on each side, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in half of the coconut milk and the chicken broth. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining coconut milk and the fish sauce. Serve hot with the rice.