This recipe can be cooked on skewers or the chicken can be left whole and grilled that way.
Grilled Sambal Chicken
Time to Make
- 15 minutes of preparation
- 15 minutes to cook
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sliced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sambal olek (red chili paste), or more to taste
- 8-10 pre-soaked skewers, soaked for 30 minutes (optional)
- crushed roasted Peanuts
- fresh mint leaves
- sliced green onions
- If using skewers, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, otherwise leave whole.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the garlic, ginger, sriracha, fish sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, vegetable oil, and soy sauce until smooth. Stir in the chili sauce. Pour over the chicken an marinate 15 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Lightly grease the grill grates. Skewer the chicken, if desired.
- Drain the marinade and place in a small saucepan. Simmer on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes until it thickens and reduces. It is now a basting sauce.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook 5 minutes. You should have deep grill marks. Turn the chicken, baste with the sauce you reduced and cook through. You’ll want to baste at least once on each side and you may need to move the chicken to the upper rack to finish cooking.
- Garnish with fresh mint, green onions, and crushed roasted peanuts, if desired.