A classic Greek dish.
Chicken Oreganata with Lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 pounds bone in skin on chicken breasts (4 each)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Make the marinade: In a small bowl, combine oregano, lime zest, cumin, garlic, and pepper.
- Loosen the skin from the chicken and rub the marinade inside and outside the skin. Arrange in a large baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for four hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and place in skillet skin side down. Let brown about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the chicken is done, about 25 minutes. Remove the chicken to a serving platter.
- Pour off all but 1 1/2 tablespoons of the drippings. Heat the drippings over medium high heat. Stir in the flour and cumin; cook, while stirring, about 30 seconds to thicken. Whisk in chicken broth, tequila, and lime juice. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with the chicken.