This is a vegetarian pita sandwich, but it does have yogurt in the dressing. For this recipe the dried garbanzo beans are cooked in a slow cooker. To save time, you can used canned beans. For best flavor, try to get fresh herbs for this.
Garbanzo Bean-Vegetable Pitas
- 1 1/4 cups dry garbanzo beans (chickpeas) (8 ounces)
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 of a medium avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced green onions (about 8)
- 4 pita bread rounds, halved crosswise and warmed
- Pick through and rinse the beans. Drain. Place in a 4-quart slow cooker. Add water, onion, 3 garlic cloves, and season with salt. Cover and cook the beans until tender, on low for 8 to 9 hours, or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Drain the beans and discard the solids.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: In a food processor, combine 1 garlic clove, avocado, yogurt, and vinegar. Process until smooth. Add the basil and chives, pulse just until combined.
- To serve: In a large bowl, combine the garbanzo beans, spinach, tomatoes, and green onions. Spoon into the pita bread. Dollop with dressing.