This could be a main dish or serve it as an appetizer or part of a buffet.
Lamb Meatballs with Red Pepper and Chickpea Sauce
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers (4 ounces)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole-milk yogurt, preferably Greek, plus more for serving
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups chickpeas from a jar or can, drained
- In a food proccessor, puree the peppers. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the broth and 1/2 cup yogurt.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground lamb, eggs, garlic, 1/4 cup parsley, and the thyme. Season with the smoked paprika and 4 teaspoons salt. Use your hand to gently mix, then roll into 16 2-inch sized meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Brown the meatballs for about 8 minutes. Push them to one side and pour in the red pepper sauce and chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring and turning the meatballs, until the sauce has reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, then transfer the meatballs and chickpeas to a serving platter. Spoon the pepper sauce over top, garnish with parsley. Serve with yogurt.