A classic moussaka is a casserole made by layering eggplant with a spiced meat filling then topping it off with a creamy bechamel sauce and baking. In this recipe bulgur is used instead of meat. This recipe does contain egg and Romano cheese.
- 3 peeled eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the broiler.
- Lightly brush the eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil. Place half on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and broil 5-inches from heat until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil to the pan and swirl to coat the bottom. Add onion and saute 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add bulgur and lightly toast, 3 minutes stirring to prevent burning.
- Stir in the allspice, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in vegetable broth, oregano, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk for about a minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and season with salt.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whisk in the egg, mixing well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a rectangular baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange half the eggplant in the prepared baking dish. Spread the bulgur mixture evenly over the eggplant, then top with remaining eggplant. Pour the milk mixture over top.
- Bake 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 475 and bake until the top is browned, about 4 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.