Serve this as a complement to baked ham or turkey breast. It is also great as a party appetizer on cocktail rye bread with a little cream cheese or my favorite – yogurt cheese. I have provided the full recipe if you want to can it and also the amounts for a single jar which will not need to be processed, just keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
Posted by threeovens.
If you just want to make 1 jar, use the following amounts being extra careful because the ingredients will cook a bit faster and skip step 5:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/6 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch dry mustard
- pinch ground allspice
- small dash of ground cloves
- 3/4 cup chopped, peeled apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped dried figs.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- dash ground cloves
- 3 cups chopped, peeled ripe apricots (8 to 12 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped dried figs
- Use a medium stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy saucepan (these are non-reactive) to heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender.
- Stir in the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, allspice, and cloves. bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in the apricots and figs, bring to a boil, and once again reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and set aside once thickened. That’s it!
- If you are making the full recipe and are going to can it, ladle the hot chutney into hot, sterilized jars of the half-pint size. Leave 1/2-inch of headspace and wipe the rims. Adjust lids.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Begin the timing once the water returns to a boil. Remove the jars from the water and cool on wire racks.