St David’s Day is the feast day of Saint David, the patron saint of Wales. The date falls on March 1st which represents the date of Saint David in 589 AD. The feast has been celebrated since the 12th century when he was canonized by Pope Calixtus II in 1120. The was also the peak time of Welsh resistance to the invading Normans.
St David's Day Risotto
Posted by threeovens.
- 397 calories
- 8 g fat
- 4 g saturates
- 60 carbohydrates
- 0 g sugars
- 2 g fiber
- 26 g protein
- 2 g sodium
- 2 smoked haddock fillets (8 ounces each)
- 1 leek, trimmed, cleaned, and sliced
- small pat of butter
- 1 1/4 cup risotto rice
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone
- handful chives, chopped for garnish
- Place the fish in a large bowl. Cover with 5 cups boiling water for 8-10 minutes to poach the fish until it flakes easily with a fork. Use a slotted spoon to remove the fish to a plate. Reserve the liquid.
- Peel off the skin and flake the fish into large chunks.
- In a large skillet, cook the leek in butter, over medium heat, until softened. Stir in the rice, then add the fish cooking liquid. Stir, then let simmer until nearly cooked, 15-20 minutes.
- Gently stir in the flaked fish without breaking up. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the mascarpone and sprinkle with chives.