These cookies are best if you have one of those fancy cookie presses.
Norwegian Butter Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Rounded 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and the extracts until light in color and fluffy. Beat in egg.
Beat in the flour mixture over low speed (unless you like flour all over your kitchen) until just combined.
Divide the dough into quarters and put 1 piece into the cookie press. Following manufacturers instructions, hold the press slightly above an ungreased cookie sheet and squeeze out cookies in your desired shape (suggest star, bow, circle, or ribbon). They should be spaced about 3-inches apart.
Bake in batches in the center of the oven until the edges are golden, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.