Who’s up for rye bread muffins? These are for mini-muffins.
Scandinavian Rye Muffins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (from a 1/4-oz package)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup warm water (105-115°F)
- 2/3 cup rye flour
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled,
- plus additional for greasing
- 2 tablespoons molasses (not blackstrap)
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt such as Maldon
Special equipment: an instant-read thermometer; 2 nonstick mini-muffin pans with 12 (1 3/4-inch-wide) muffin cups
In a large bowl, stir together yeast, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup warm water. Stir until the yeast is dissolved and let stand until foamy, about 15 minutes.
Whisk together rye flour, all-purpose flour, zest, salt, anise, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon caraway.
Add the flour mixture, melted butter, molasses, remaining 3/4 cup warm water to the yeast mixture and beat at medium speed for 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour until combined. Add remaining 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, flour and beat to incorporate. Dough should be stick. Scrape down the sides and let rise in the bowl, covered in a warm place, until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter muffin pans.
Stir down the dough and divide it evenly among the 24 muffin cups (about 1 rounded tablespoon per). You may like to periodically apply oil to the tablespoon to ease placement of the dough into the muffin cups.
Let the dough rest, uncovered, in a draft-free place at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Gently brush the muffin tops with an egg wash, then sprinkle with sea salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds.
Bake until muffins are puffed and a wooden toothpick comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes. Turn muffins out on a rack to cool.