This is a sweet/sour cabbage salad.
Swedish Red Cabbage
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 tart green apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons red or black currant jelly
In a heavy Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add chopped apples and onion, sauteeing until tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in cabbage and cook until slightly wilted, about 8 minutes. Stir in sugar, vinegar, salt, cloves, and allspice. Cover and cook until the cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Uncover, add wine and jelly and cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.
NOTE: Can be prepare a day ahead of time (cover and refrigerate). Can be reheated over low heat, if desired.