Aalu Ra Tama (Potatoes and Bamboo Shoots
Posted by threeovens.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 1/2 ounces tama (fresh or fermented bamboo shoots)
- 1 ounce mustard seeds, blended to a paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chilies, broken in half
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tomato, minced
- 1 1/2 cup water
Heat a wok over medium high heat and add about half the oil. Stir fry the bamboo shoots for 5 minutes, remove, and set aside. Add the remaining oil, cumin seeds, and chilies. Cook 30 seconds, then stir in the onions. Stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the mustard paste and stir fry for 7 minutes.
Add in the potatoes, season with salt, turmeric, and chili powder. Return the bamboo shoots and stir in the tomatoes. Add the water, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender and the liquid thickens a bit.
Serve with hot rice.