My friend, Mary Pat Frick, aka twissis, very kindly “donated” the above photo for your viewing pleasure!
Fried Eggplant Salad on Romaine Leaves (Marul Tabağinda Patlican Salatasi)
Posted by threeovens.
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leaves of Romaine lettuce
- a few thin slices of red onion
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, cut in cubes
- 4-5 tablespoons tomatoes, grated (remove the seeds first and you can use canned)
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pomegranate paste (this is made by reducing pomegranate juice and is a little tart, sub with fruit preserves)
- 1-2 peppercorns, pounded
- Peel the eggplant, then cut into bite-sized pieces or rounds. Soak the eggplant in water with a little salt dissolved for about 2 hours. Drain and gently squeeze out liquid using a paper towel.
- Heat the pan, then turn down to medium-low. Add the olive oil, let heat up a minute or two, then fry the eggplant, stirring and turning over occasionally. Remove from the pan and place on paper toweling to drain excess oil. Let cool.
- Arrange some leaves of Romaine lettuce on serving plates. Top with fried eggplant, onion slices, and feta cheese.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, then pour over the salad.