Ethopian Collard Greens (Gomen)
Posted by threeovens.
- 2 bunches of collard greens
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup oil (or replace some with butter)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 2 jalapeño peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- Heat a large stockpot of salted water to a boil.
- Remove the leaves from the tough stems and discard stems. Tear leaves, but don’t worry about the size since they will be chopped later. Wash well in cold water and place in the pot of boiling water.
- Cook until the greens turn color and soften, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out excess moisture and chop into small bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the onions in oil or butter-oil mixture in a large skillet over medium heat until they soften and become translucent, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger, and jalapeños and cook for a few minutes. Add the greens and stir to incorporate with the other ingredients. Season with salt and serve.