This is what my grandmother used to call “cut fries.” She made them often because we loved them so.
Posted by threeovens.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3/4 pound smoked bacon or cooked ham, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 1 pound cooked potatoes, cold and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot, sweet paprika (substitute sweet paprika with a pinch of chili powder)
- handful of parsley, rough chopped
- 4 eggs
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Fry the bacon and onion together until the bacon is golden, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them to a plate.
Add the potatoes and fry them until golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the caraway seeds and paprika and fry another minute or so.
Return the onion and bacon, taste for seasoning, then add the parsley.
Meanwhile, fry the eggs in a separate skillet.
Serve the potatoes, bacon, and onions with a fried egg on top.