This meal can be served with crispy fried potatoes, chive sauce, and apple-horseradish sauce.
Tafelspitz (Boiled Beef)
Posted by threeovens. This may be considered the national dish of Austria. This particular version comes from “The New Sacher Cookbook.”
- 4 1/2 pounds beef round rump roast
- 2 pounds beef bones with marrow
- 3 carrots
- 3 turnips or 3 parsnips
- 1 celeriac
- 1 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 juniper berries
- chopped chives
- Fill a large pot with 5 quarts of cold water. Wash the marrow bones and add to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Remove any sinew from the roast, but leave on the fat. Place in the pot, along with the bay leaves, peppercorns, and juniper berries. Cover, and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- After 2 hours, cut the onion in half and fry in a cast iron skillet, cut side down, until dark brown. Add to the pot.
- Peel and cut the remaining vegetables into large cubes and add to the pot. Simmer another hour until the meat is really tender.
- Remove the meat and strain the liquid, reserving the liquid. Place the meat back in the liquid.
- To serve: Slice the meat and arrange on a serving platter. Pour a little of the cooking liquid over. Season with salt and sprinkle with chives.