This meal can be served with crispy fried potatoes, chive sauce, and apple-horseradish sauce.
Tafelspitz (Boiled Beef)
Posted by threeovens. This may be considered the national dish of Austria. This particular version comes from “The New Sacher Cookbook.”
- 4 1/2 pounds beef round rump roast
- 2 pounds beef bones with marrow
- 3 carrots
- 3 turnips or 3 parsnips
- 1 celeriac
- 1 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 juniper berries
- chopped chives
- Fill a large pot with 5 quarts of cold water. Wash the marrow bones and add to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Remove any sinew from the roast, but leave on the fat. Place in the pot, along with the bay leaves, peppercorns, and juniper berries. Cover, and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- After 2 hours, cut the onion in half and fry in a cast iron skillet, cut side down, until dark brown. Add to the pot.
- Peel and cut the remaining vegetables into large cubes and add to the pot. Simmer another hour until the meat is really tender.
- Remove the meat and strain the liquid, reserving the liquid. Place the meat back in the liquid.
- To serve: Slice the meat and arrange on a serving platter. Pour a little of the cooking liquid over. Season with salt and sprinkle with chives.
Gyudon is a Japanese beef and rice bowl. In Japan it is usually served with a raw egg yolk on top. In this version the egg is beaten and added to the dish to cook before serving. Or just leave it out if you prefer.
For a Japanese BBQ the meat is normally not marinated ahead of time so it is important to use good quality. The diners sit around the BBQ and individually cook bite-sized pieces of meat or vegetables throughout the meal and then dip into a salty-ish sauce called “tare.” FUN FACT: In this country what we call a hibachi grill is actually called “shichirin.” In Japan a hibachi is used to emit heat and is not cooked upon. Continue reading
This is a beef and vegetable stew that is first browned on the stove-top and then cooked in the oven.
This recipe is so easy and comes together so quickly, why order out? To make it, you will need a pound of beef tenderloin or you could also use top sirloin. You’ll also need an orange, or at least part of one. Many American Chinese Restaurants use lots and lots of sugar, this recipe does not.
Botswana is a country in Africa located just north of South Africa. This recipe is adapted from A Kitchen Safari, Stories & Recipes from the African Wilderness, by Dumi Ndlovu and Yvonne Short. This is how meat is cooked while on safari. Once it is cooked, it is served in a banana leaf with more fresh chilies. Its a little spicy, but if served with chilies would be very spicy and hot.