Ethiopian Red Lentils (Missir Wat)
Posted by threeovens.
This is a hearty lentil dish with a rich berbere flavor. Use less seasoning if you want it less spicy – use more for more heat.
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2-3 tablespoons berbere seasoning
- 7 ounces of canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, and berbere seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions soften and start to turn translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes and several spoonfuls of the tomato liquid. Add the water and bring to a boil. Stir in the lentils.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer until the lentils have softened. You may need to add a little more water if the pot becomes dry and the lentils are not yet tender.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and season with salt and simmer a couple of minutes more before serving.