Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add ginger, mushrooms, and red pepper. Cook, while stirring, for 30 seconds. Add broth, vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili paste, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Dredge the shrimp in the cornstarch, then add to the broth. Simmer until the shrimp is cooked, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Divide the soup evenly among 4 serving bowls. Garnish each bowl with green onions.