This is a dish that is served throughout Panama. It is heavily spiced and garlicky. Serve with rice and avocado. Recipe does not include four hours marinating time.
- 1 (3-4 pound) chicken, quartered
- 3 bay leaves
- 25 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon ground allspice
- Place the chicken and bay leaves in a bowl. Puree the garlic, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water using a food processor or blender. Add the juice, vinegar, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and allspice; puree again until smooth. Rub the marinade all over the chicken, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat a grill to high heat. Make sure you save a little space on the side to place any chicken that is cooking too fast, a.k.a. burning.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill until slightly charred and cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. An instant read thermometer should read 165 degrees F.